Sunday, July 12, 2015

From Shredded to Wedded: A Silk Scrap Quilt for Oldish Newlyweds

Normally I wouldn't think of making a scrap quilt for a wedding - the newlyweds should get something shiny and, well, new, right? Certainly not some old selvage-ridden crumpled unravellings from the scrap bin?

But what if it's a second wedding? And what if both lost their beloved first spouses to long illnesses? And what if both are beaming with joy? And what if they specified "no gifts," instead suggesting people donate money to cancer research, and we did that, too?

All those reasons, plus the fact that my previous highly disciplined dupioni silk project left me with a lot of scraps, and a burning desire to relax and have fun with the luminous color and texture, without worrying about dye running or turning edges under. Along with small pieces of fabric, previous projects left me with flying spaghetti monster clots like this:
So I cut 3" square pieces of tear-away stabilizer, covered each with a same-size square of of dupioini,  and flung scraps, selvages, threads, etc. all over them.

Then I stitched them together and set them on a long piece of shiny white  dupioni. 
I called it "From Shredded to Wedded." . I stitched a hanging sleeve and included a dowel cut to size on the back.
Disregard that lower right hand corner. Why does this always happen to me when I do a pillowcase finish? Oh wait, it's on purpose! It demonstrates that nothing is perfect, but we must still continue forward, and celebrate life. L'Chaim!



P.S. Shared on Nina Marie Sayre's Off the Wall Friday! Check it out for more art quilts! http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/.



4 comments:

  1. Beth Stewart-OzarkJuly 12, 2015 at 7:51 AM

    Cathy,
    Were I part of that wedding party, I would be thrilled to receive your shredded to wedded quilt! Your creativity never ceases to amaze me! What a great way to move those scraps to scintillation and joy on a celebration day! Good on you, my friend, good on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, you are way too kind! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!